Friday, January 8, 2016

Happy 2016!!!


Well, Campers, it’s been a while and I hope you’re enjoying a happy new year.  We had a wonderful holiday season with visits from our son Joey down from Atlanta and our daughter Liz down from Brooklyn.  Once again, we celebrated tradition with our traditional non-traditional Christmas Eve dinner at Bangkok Thai Restaurant.  All is right with the world.

As for my health, I’m back on track for weekly chemo infusions with occasional weeks off.  I was treated yesterday and all my vitals and blood counts were improved since last time.  Once more, I’m in great health except for that incurable cancer thing.  Oh, well, can’t have everything, I suppose. . .  ;-)

For the most part, I feel pretty good except for the nagging excess mucous in my throat and the fact that I’m tired a lot.  But these things are manageable and far better than most alternatives.  I am a little melancholy, but that always comes with the time of year.  January 20 will mark the 11th year of my son David’s passing from melanoma at the age of 22.  Around this time of year, I think and dream about him a lot.  Fortunately, as time passes, I’m more prone to remember the good times.

One more time, I had all sorts of things that I wanted to say queued up but seem to have lost them in the chemo fog.   I guess I’ll just have to start posting things as I think of them, regardless of the time of day.

But, on lieu of what I had planned on typing, I’ll just sort of free-lance a little.  I’ll have to say that 2015 certainly did not turn out as I has expected.  It began with me being free of disease and returning to work part-time in March.  I felt great and the world was spinning on greased grooves.  Then came August/September and the return of cancer.  I admit that I was disappointed to say the least, but stoically accepted it and began treatment again.  And, so far, the treatment has been successful.  The mass in my left lung has shrunk by about a third as of the last CT scan. Hopefully, the next scan will likewise show positive results.

Ah, that reminded me of one of my talking points.  Many of my friends have suggested that I seek alternative treatments for my disease, and perhaps someday I will, and I thank you all for your concern and well-wishes – they keep me going.  But for now, I have to say that the mainstream treatment plan is working well.  If the progress stops and the disease becomes more aggressive, then I will entertain the possibility of clinical trials and/or alternative treatments.    Again, thank you for the love you all send my way.

OK, this time I am out of things to say and will spare you further ramblings.  I promise I will keep things more current than I have been!!

Peace and Love to All!!

Joe

2 comments:

  1. You're are truly one of my heroes. Upbeat and brave. When people refer to "sports heroes," they don't know what they're talking about, especially ones that are making millions.
    Have the best year possible Joe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words!! Only doing my job!!

      Delete