Sunday, August 14, 2016

Across the Great Divide

Well, Campers, I wish I was going to be talking about the great Kate Wolf song with the same title as this post.  But. . .

I fear I may have used up my allotment of miracles.  After every part of my body was poked, probed, scanned, inspected, and detected with none being neglected, the findings were a blood clot in my left lung, pneumonitis (an infection of the lungs), an increase in the pulmonary fibrosis, and a massive decline in overall lung health.  The irony is that this is right on the heels of improvements of the initial cancer.  Another irony is that some of of the treatment working against the cancer may be helping the disintegration of the lungs.  One of the drawbacks of fighting two terminal diseases concurrently.  To paraphrase and channel my inner Tennessee Ernie Ford "If the first don't get ya, the next one will."

So, the grand plan is that I stay in the ICU until the point that my oxygen requirements are low and stable enough to let me leave the hospital and in the meantime, open a dialog with Hospice to see what needs to be done so I can receive their services while still living at home.  This would most likely entail bringing in a hospital bed and setting up the required oxygen delivery system.  Then, they would provide a home caregiver on an "as needed" basis and the medications to ease any pain.  Fortunately, there are a lot of you out there to provide moral, spiritual, and emotional support.  All will be needed, I'm sure, on this race to the finish line.  (A slow, slow race, I'm hoping.)  As some of you know, we had an excellent experience with Hospice when David passed and then again a few months ago when my mother-in-law Norma passed in Venice.  My hopes are the same that David expressed 11 years ago.  He wanted to die at home with as little pain as possible.  And that's how it rolled, with him surrounded by loving friends and family.

Years ago, when Chicago Bears great Walter Payton was diagnosed with cancer, a feeble-minded sportswriter asked him if he was scared.  Walter looked in the eyes and said "Damn right I'm scared." If the man who retired as the NFL rushing leader could admit to being scared of what he was facing, I can too.  But I will face it with as much strength as I can muster and will live with as much enjoyment and love as I can.

Till next time, peace and love to one and all!!!
Joe

5 comments:

  1. RIP Joe ... there are none like you, a special person among our world and you will be greatly missed by many. You were always upbeat and positive even in life's most challenging situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, I've followed your updates on your blog pretty religiously for as long as you've been making them, maybe a year and a half, and they are extremely moving. I'm sorry to just now see that you have gone, and I am sad not to have been able to see you in person. You were obviously an amazing person, they should make more of them like you. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, you loved all kinds of music so the chariot swung low to take you home. Please use your time in heaven to start a revolution of goodness on our very needy planet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe, you loved all kinds of music so the chariot swung low to take you home. Please use your time in heaven to start a revolution of goodness on our very needy planet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, you loved all kinds of music so the chariot swung low to take you home. Please use your time in heaven to start a revolution of goodness on our very needy planet.

    ReplyDelete