Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Last Post of the Year. . .


Well, Campers, the year rapidly draws to a close with some good news.  My trip to Moffitt today was a good one as I have been cleared to start eating pureed foods again.  Elaine made my day by preparing some delicious mashed cauliflower like only she can do it.  And my recent tiredness is not due to thyroid problems or anything like that but most likely to the fact that I’ve been pushing myself to my limits with the holidays and all the company.  That’s a good kind of tired!!

 On a down note, Liz, Adrienne, Eric, and Amelia left today.  My son Joey went back to Atlanta on Sunday so the house is back to just Elaine and me.  I welcome the chance to rest but miss everyone already, especially my soon to be 5-month old granddaughter Amelia who certainly carved her own special corner in my heart.  (No offense meant to you older kids – I miss you all, too!) 

 I’ll be sleeping tomorrow night when the new year arrives, but we will be having some friends over for trivia night.  Party will end at 11 as Elaine has to go to work at 6:30 AM on New Year’s Day and I just can’t last that long!!

 As I’ve remarked on these pages many times, having cancer has been an amazing life changing event.  I’m slowly recovering though it will take time.  But, eventually, I will return to work for a while.  But there will be some things that will never be the same.  Eventually, I’ll be able to eat a wider variety of foods, but there may well be some things I will never be able to eat again.  My voice will probably never return to its pre-cancerous days.  My hearing is degraded and I will have to be tested for hearing aids.  And I’ll be treating the lymphedema in my neck for the foreseeable future, which means taping my neck and most likely sleeping with a compression mask.  But, I’m still lucky – I’m still here waking up on the green side of the grass.  And that, my friends, makes it all worthwhile.

 Happy New Year to one and all!!!

 Peace and love to all!!

Joe

 

 

1 comment: