Thursday, December 4, 2014

Long Overdue.. .

OK, Campers.  This update is long, long overdue. . .   No excuses, just haven't gotten around to doing it.


For the most past, I'm doing good.  Every day is a little better than the one before, yet there is still a long way to recovery.  One thing I've learned that they don't tell you is that once you've finished treatment, you're not even half way to recovery.  Well, let me clarify - that is to say if you've undergone radiation and/or chemo with known side effects.  I have recently been told by one of Sarasota's leading radiation oncologists that the two ends of the digestive tract are the worst for side effects from radiation, hence, my woes at the input side are not a surprise, only that they are severe and I an taking an unusually long time to heal.  But, I am healing.  No real feel for my return to the working world, only that I'd like it to be in January.


Today brought a new turn.  I have begun Occupational Therapy for lymphedema, which is a result of the lymph nodes in my neck being fried and blocked/not functioning.  As a result, my neck is swollen, which contributes to some of my swallowing difficulties.  The therapy consists of massage and taping of the neck to kind of hold the lymph nodes open and to encourage them to get to work.  I'll go back tomorrow (Friday) and then every day next week and we'll see where that brings us.  I figure it can't hurt.


Other than that, I just keep on keeping on. . .


Peace and love!!
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment