Saturday, January 24, 2015

A Sobering Day. . .


Well, Campers, Thursday was a little bit sobering.  The day before, one of the members of my Thursday Support Group, John, passed on.  It was not a total surprise as he had been in the Hospice House for a few weeks, but it sort of reminded the rest of us or our own mortality.

But even before that, I had begun to reassess my post-retirement direction.  Ever since David left us 10 years ago, I had thought that, after retirement, I would become a volunteer at Hospice, as I was so impressed by the work they did and I had some experience dealing with terminal cancer patients.  But, now since my own affliction, I have become more involved in support groups and have some dealings with the volunteers at cancer centers.  And, I find that I feel more comfortable being the ‘bluebird of happiness’ and share my more upbeat adventures of coping with cancer and beating it.  A few years ago I realized that if I worked at Hospice, I would be good at it, but I would come home every day and cry.  Probably something that would wear on me after a while.  So, what I’m saying is that I don’t think I have what it takes to deal with terminal patients all the time.  As I’ve said many times before, the workers at Hospice are angels; they know that they’re going to lose every patient but still go back for more.  They are true heroes, as well as being true angels.

But I’m thinking I would be best suited for the Center for Building Hope or a local cancer center, if I can find one that I can truly believe in.  I have a lot of experience on both sides of the fence now and feel that if I can make one person a day smile and give them hope in their struggle every day, I can die a happy man.

And, my condition continues to improve daily.  I’m still outrageously week and get tired easily, but I can go most days without a nap.  My swallowing is still difficult, but improving.  As I type this, I am noshing on some carrots that Elaine pureed with brown sugar and cinnamon (speaking of true angels!).  I still have the feeding tube and most likely will for a while longer.  But, I can live with it. 

Enough for now!!  Peace and Love until next time!!

Joe

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe and Elaine.

    It was a very warm pleasure to see you in our old 'stomping grounds' FOGARTYVILLE recently.

    I agree with your PLAN Joe.

    (photos) Francis

    ReplyDelete