Sunday, January 18, 2015

Remembering David. . .


Well, Campers, I come to you today with mixed emotions.  Tuesday, January 20, will mark the 10th anniversary of my son David’s passing.  It just doesn’t seem that long ago and I still miss him so much.

But we got to ‘visit’ him yesterday, Saturday.  My friends Karen and Dana were kind enough to take Elaine and me out on their boat to the spot off of Siesta Beach when David’s ashes were scattered 10 years ago come summer. Along with the Ringling Bayfront, that was one of David’s favorite places for watching the sunset.   It was a beautiful day and we left flowers at the GPS co-ordinates.  Then we just sort of sat there for a while swapping David memories.  Elaine never got to meet him, but I think through me she has a feel for who he was.  He was stubborn and bull-headed, but he was also kind and generous.  And he had about a million friends, most of whom showed up at his memorial services.  As I have said on several occasion, as weird as it sounds, my life began ten years ago, when I became the person I am now, the person who can easily cope with his own cancer.  David carried his disease with dignity and strength.  I’m sure there was fear, but he only showed it to me once in nine months.  I have learned much from him and will ever be thankful.  I learned more about living from a young man who was dying than I learned in the previous 54 years.

And, I think David sent us a sign.  On the way back in, we spotted two dolphins, always a joy and said to be good luck.

My own condition continues to improve, albeit slowly.  I still get very tired and after the sea air and festivities yesterday, I slept 12 hours last night.  But, I rarely nap during the day and can do a little more each day.  Still not sure when I can go back to work, but the light is definitely at the end of the tunnel.

Life truly is a miracle a minute.

Peace and Love!!!!

Joe

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Joe. I'm sure your David was with you today, as he is every day. You inspire me!! ~Laura Gilkey

    ReplyDelete
  2. David and I love the Bright House ad. You always write such uplifting words. Glad you can hear "racket". David and I wish you and those you love better than your best past moments. I feel your joy and pain as you write of "visiting " your son. I also learned a lot from people who coped well with much worse difficulties than I had and I'm learning more of the same from you. Be blessed. Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words!!! I've started getting out to a few WSLR events lately so maybe I'll get to see you guys when I'm out and about!!

      Delete