Thursday, January 15, 2015

Heaven, I'm in Heaven. . . .


OK, Campers, very good news!! I got my hearing aids and am just hearing up a total racket!!  Life is grand!!  Right now, I can hear the clacking of the keys on the laptop as I type this.  I can hear the newspaper pages crinkle as I read them.  I find myself stamping my feet just because I can hear my own footsteps.  I can’t remember my hearing ever being this acute.  Progress, no stopping it!

I think I mentioned last time that since my right ear is totally gone, I got what is called a bi-cross system.  The left (‘good’) ear has a mostly conventional hearing aid with a receiver.  The right ear has what  looks like a hearing aid but is actually a transmitter that wirelessly sends whatever it picks up to the left ear.  Sometimes, it’s a little weird, like if I jangle my car keys by my right ear, I hear it clear as a bell – in my left ear.  But, it’s taking less time to get used to than I expected.  The real test will be Wednesday when I go to Team Trivia at Gecko’s, which is always a mob scene.

And something else I’ve noticed, totally unrelated to hearing.  But it seems I am now getting misty-eyed at the most inane things.  Sitcoms, commercials, you name it – anything with the slightest degree of poignancy sets me off.  The Bright House Networks commercial First Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiLf9_O9RaY) is guaranteed to bring tears to my eyes.  But then, it is the sweetest thing I’ve ever seen. . . .

But I think it’s a response to the time when I was in treatment and until I was declared free of disease.  I worked so hard at remaining stoic and not tearing up that it just caught up to me.   Neither a good thing nor a bad thing – just a thing.

Well, I’m going to cut it off for now – the racket of these laptop keys is driving me crazy. . . .

Peace and Love!!!!

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment