Friday, June 3, 2016

Another Long Overdue Update

Well, Campers, it has been way too long. . .  Mea culpa. . .  But here goes. . .

Actually, the major story is not me but my 94-year old mother-in-law who has the kindest heart and gentlest soul you could ever hope to find.  Unfortunately, that heart is about to give out.  On the up side, all six of her children are now or have just been in town to visit (two live locally).  But the world will be a little bit drearier when she's gone.

As for the state of my health, I'm doing pretty good.  As of my last CT scan about three weeks ago, there is no new growth in my lungs and what cancer is there has broken up.  So the regimen of immunotherapy is having a positive effect.  What's more troublesome now are the two ancillary lung diseases - bronchiolitis, which is damage to the air sacs, and pulmonary fibrosis, which is damage to the lining of the lungs.  These are what are contributing to my shortness of breath and subsequent fatigue.  And though the spread of these conditions can be slowed, the damage already done is irreversible.  About two weeks ago, I was given prescriptions for an antibiotic and a steroid, and they seem to be helping as I still get short of breath but recover quicker and some of my aches and pains are gone.  So, I'm doing pretty good for a guy with three potentially terminal diseases!!!

OK, now for some stream-of-consciousness ramblings. . .  Our daughter Liz has moved in with us after relocating from Brooklyn to begin grad school at USF next year.  My son Joey and his girlfriend Tabatha are visiting from Atlanta for a week and brought us a dog.  Due to some pending logistics changes and temperament issues, Elaine and I will be fostering Riot, a Rottweiler/Other mix.  It will be good to have a pet in the house again.

And since I'm on immunotherapy and not full-blown chemo, my hair has grown back.  They say bald is sexy, but when I was bald, I looked like Gandhi. . .  What's sort of weird is that my beard on my neck no longer grows so I can shave in half the time that I used to take.

On the philosophical front, my mother-in-law's ordeals right now remind me of my son David's final days 11 years ago.  Between the two of them, I see both my own past and future.  And, yes, it is just a bit scary.  But, I'll be around for a while longer and will take advantage of and enjoy the time I have.  At my weekly support group, the question often arises of what will we do with the rest of our lives, however long that may be.  For me, it's rather simple.  I really don't have a bucket list and have pretty much accomplished most of what I want to in life,  I just want to keep doing what I've been doing on my forced retirement - reading, web surfing, and working puzzles.  I am a simple man with simple desires.  And I enjoy getting visitors since I don't get out much - gives me the chance to keep up with what's going on in the outside world and to enjoy it vicariously.  Oh, I'll go to Wednesday night team trivia challenge as long as I draw breath!!

OK, Jeopardy is on, so it's time to sign off for now.  I should be going back to Moffitt next week for treatment, so will craft my next update after that.

Peace and Love to All!!
Joe



2 comments: