Friday, June 17, 2016

Thoughts from a Wandering Mind

OK, Campers.  It's a little of this and a little of that. . .

First, thanks for all the kind words for my mother-in-law.  Her passing was not unexpected, but the finality of the actual event is a jolt.  Fortunately, all of her children were in town for her final days.  Elaine is grieving but is at peace, as am I.

Moving on, I've been experiencing what I think is an odd phenomenon in my sleeping patterns, maybe since I'm sleeping so much.  But my dreams will often reference a previous dream.  For instance, a few weeks ago, I dreamt that I was going to build a fence with my brother-in-law Frenchy at the end of his yard.  Then at least twice since then, my dreams have sort of picked up where that one left off.  And since the original dream was so vivid, I began to wonder if it was real.  Of course, that possibility is highly unlikely as I live 1000 miles away, he's 81, and I'm disabled.

And speaking of memories, I recently got an email from my childhood friend Anthony, who still lives in the old hometown.  His message brought back a flood of pleasant memories of that time and place. Now I did not have an ideal childhood, but it was pretty close.  I feel that the 'small town' values instilled then have served me well throughout life.

Finally, I've been reading an anthology of science fiction novellas that my friend Will lent me which includes The Time Machine by H. G. Wells.  That particular story reminded me why 'science' fiction is also known as 'speculative'  fiction.  Many of the stories about a dystopian future are filled with social and political commentary, such the aforementioned Time Machine as well as Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. And though it painted a rosier picture, Edward Bellamy's Looking Backward also falls into the realm of social and political commentary.

Enough for now. I have more reading to do!!

Peace and Love,
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment