Friday, March 14, 2014

The Official Prognosis

Well, today the biopsy results came back with no real surprises - squamous cell carcinoma at the base of the tongue caused by  HPV (the Human Papillomavirus Virus).  The disease is stage 4A, but it seems that stage 4 isn't as ominous with neck cancers.  The survival/recovery rate is over 90%.  For those of you who live in the Sarasota area, those are better odds than you have of crossing the street safely during tourist season.


Due to the cause of the disease and the fact that I am not a smoker, I may be a candidate for a clinical trial of an alternative drug to the chemo normally employed for tongue cancer.  For a quick refresher, the treatment, for 6 or 7 weeks, will consist of radiation and either 3 or 8 chemo sessions, depending on if I am in the trial or not (the higher number would be in the trial).  If I'm deemed eligible, I will opt into the trial.  I have been closely touched by cancer twice now and will do whatever I can to prevent one other person from developing this vile and insidious disease.


The will be some screenings next week and some other tests and things going on and the treatment in about 2 weeks.


Looks like a helluva ride!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Joe - that's the kind of prognosis we love to hear! A few posts ago you said "you can never have too many rocks." I agree. I hope I can at least be a pebble for you and Elaine from afar. Happy thoughts!!! Love to you and Elaine!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete