Saturday, July 19, 2014

Let's Get a Litle More Upbeat. . .

OK, Campers. . .  It's been called to my attention from several fronts that my more recent entries have become somewhat more morose. . . .  I fear that was true and want to apologize and offer a few words of explanation.


First, let me digress. . .   My primary purposes in maintaining the blog were as a catharsis for myself and to keep as many people updated as possible without having to repeat the info too often.  And, I wanted to share my experiences with anyone who, the Heavens forbid, may find themselves or someone they are close to in a similar position.


And, like Fox News ;-), I wanted to keep my reporting fair and balanced.  I am by nature a positive person, but I knew there would be times I was down in the dumps, so to speak,.  Hell, even the bluebird of happiness has off days. . . 


Early on, I hit bouts of anxiety, previously recorded on these pages.  Once I identified it, I was able to deal with it.  (The wonders of Xanax.).  But in recent weeks, I was blindsided by anxiety's more sinister brother, depression.  That I did not see coming.  But I found myself getting impatient, tired, and often on edge.  Around the same time, I started feeling cancer-related fatigue, a very common phenomenon.  My case, however, was very profound.  What I have since learned is that the fatigue can be exacerbated by depression.  So, without realizing it, I was allowing myself to go down the rat hole. 


I went to my medical oncologist, who has given  me a prescription for an anti-depressant, which I have now taken for 3 - 4 days.  The fatigue is still with me to a lesser degree, but the emotional edginess is pretty much gone, that is, I have climbed out of the rat hole!!  The take-away for me on this learning experience is that if your feel something is wrong, it probably is.  Our bodies are constantly talking to us if we take the time to listen.


But, I'm not as exhausted and am a little more ambitious.  Like, it doesn't take every ounce of energy to merely stand up anymore.


But I want to thank everyone who noticed for their attention and the fact that you all care.  So, please, if you notice me heading for that rat hole again, call me out on it!!


Peace and Love,
Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment