Monday, November 16, 2015

A New Goal and It's Love, Actually

Well, Campers.  I have a new goal in life.  That would be that I want to survive cancer long enough to die of something else.  Maybe that runaway beer truck will get me after all, or a suicide bomber, or another disease all together.  Whatever, I just want to be able to thumb my nose at cancer and tell it that it's not so tough after all.  A Pyrrhic victory,  yes, but a victory nonetheless.

After four days away from Moffitt, I will be going back the next two days, Tuesday for blood draw and a doctor visit and Wednesday for my marathon chemo session.  Hopefully I will be able to make Team Trivia on Wednesday, too.

And my sister Connie and family will be leaving on Wednesday, heading back to points north.  It's been really great having them here.  I think their visit pumped some fresh blood through my weary body.  And, there I'll be more company soon!  My son Joey and his girlfriend Tabatha will be down from Atlanta over Thanksgiving and my daughters Liz and Adrienne, along with my son-in-law Eric and granddaughter Amelia will be arriving from Brooklyn the weekend after Thanksgiving.  All good, very, very good!!

And I've been feeling pretty good the past few days.  Breathing is easier and I'm not as fatigued.  It would seem that I'm responding to the treatments.  Which actually is a good thing as I wouldn't want to be having my body battered by fire and poison, er, radiation and chemo, for nothing.  That stuff wears me out, let me tell you.

Oh, and some others thoughts after watching the movie 'Love, Actually', to kick off the holiday movie season.  It is one of my favorite movies ever and if you've never seen it, stop reading right now and run out and rent it.  Now I've seen it at least a dozen times but this is the first time since my diagnosis of cancer.  And parts of it hit me a lot differently this time.  So as not to bore and/or confuse those who haven't seen it,I'll keep my remarks brief.  But I had a new understanding of the scenes with Daniel and Sam, dealing with the passing of Joanna, Daniel's wife and Sam's mom, after a long illness.  Suffice it to say that there was a new poignancy for me during these scenes that hadn't been there before. 

Well, enough for now.  my daughter Kate and grandchildren Jennifer and David are due here for a visit any minute.  Gotta get ready!!

Peace and love to all,
Joe

2 comments:

  1. May you achieve your goal. I'll have a beer truck rental on standby, just in case. In case you need beer.
    I aspire to live s fully as you are. Thanks my friend.

    ReplyDelete