Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Some New Toys and Other Ramblings


Well, Campers, I got some new toys yesterday to help along the path – a suction machine to help clear out the secretions in my throat and a wheeled walker to increase my mobility.  I used the walker at Moffitt today and it is way cool.  It gives me a little more confidence in my ability to get around.

And this was a Moffitt chemo-marathon week.  I was wired for about 4-1/2 hours today.  Fortunately, this blend of chemo does not induce nausea, though it does make me tired.  I was down for a 1-1/2 nap after we got home today.
My hair is thinning faster and I'm thinking that I'll soon shave it off as I'm beginning to look mighty ratty.  Elaine says that I'll look distinguished.  I'm thing better distinguished than extinguished!!

And we will be beginning our week and a half of company today!!  My son Joey and his girlfriend Tabatha will be arriving from Atlanta sometime this evening.   And then my daughters Liz and Adrienne, my son-in-law Eric, and my granddaughter Amelia will be arriving from Brooklyn on Saturday.  The joint will be jumping.

Tomorrow will be Thanksgiving.  I will not be able to partake in the Bacchanalian feasting that will be going on around the country, but I can reflect on the past year and what I have to be thankful for.  The list starts with my family and friends who have been there all hours of the day and night.  Without them, I would not be here to type this missive.  There are the doctors and others at Moffitt who have worked their magic to keep me among the living.  I know it sounds weird for someone in my position to be thankful, but as I have written several times before, every day I see people worse off than me; I have a chance to live a longer life – they don’t and their suffering every day is far greater than mine.  Yeah, I’m doing OK for a poor boy from the sticks.

One more time, I had a lot more to say crafted in my mind, but froze up when I hit the keyboard.  Oh, well, I’ll have lots of time to remember and get it to you.

Happy Thanksgiving, Peace, and Love to all off you!!

Joe

2 comments:

  1. Love and strength to you, my friend.
    It's been admittedly difficult to see you go through this, especially since you and I have the misfortune of sharing health experiences with our sons...but I think about you a lot and realized that it's important to let you know that you have touched many lives (mine!) and that you remain an important influence to me. It isn't often that someone gets to use the word indomitable, but that's what you've been and shown by example, so blessings and love to you and the family.
    Stay strong.
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Yes, we are sadly members of that same fraternity. In a way though, I'm drawing on Davis's strength to get through my own ordeals. He showed me what strength and class are all about. May you find the same inner peace I have.

      Delete