Monday, November 2, 2015

A Bit of a Reality Check

Ok, Campers, another trip to Moffitt today and a bit of a reality check.  For the first time today, I noticed that Dr. Caudill, my radiation oncologist, made the note on the report I signed approving 'palliative radiation'.  The primary focus of palliative care is on providing relief from symptoms and pain, not curing the disease.  Now, I've known for a while that there is no cure for me, but seeing it written was a sobering thought.

But, having said that, I'm looking to receive palliative care for many, many years. I'm not going to go gently into that good night anytime soon.

And we talked of what that care will entail.  Seems that it will primarily be a few days of radiation to break up/shrink the mass in my left lung that is constricting my air passage.  Hopefully, that will allow me to get more oxygen, hence I won't be so short of breath.  At this point, any relief will be welcome and the odds of success are three or four out of five.  Now, let me quickly add that I'm really not in any pain.  My discomfort comes from fatigue and shortness of breath, so things could be far worse.  All in all, I'm in pretty good shape for a kid with cancer!!

Tomorrow should hold some fun as some folks from my former job are going to stop by.  Then it will back to Moffitt the rest of the week.  Wednesday will be for the first round of preparation for radiation, Thursday will be blood draw and preparation for chemo, and then the actual infusion of chemo on Friday.  Next week will be a week off from chemo, which will be a welcome break as my sister, brother-in-law, and niece and her husband will be down from PA for a visit.  I'm looking forward to seeing them!!

Peace and love to all!!!
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment