Thursday, June 5, 2014

I Never Saw It Coming

OK, Campers. I know that I sometimes bandy about the term 'life-changing events' and probably take liberties with what it actually entails. But today I've been thinking about those events which certainly do change the way we live but go a little bit deeper and actually change the core of who we are, of how we see our lives, and how we choose to live those lives from that point forward.

So far, I'm going to say I have experienced two such moments, and one of those is still in progress.  And, yes, both of then involve #$%@& cancer.  The first was 10 years ago when my son David was afflicted and passed on.  That was my first total eye-opener.  Yes, my life was inexorably changed, but the person that I had been also left this plane, leaving me, ultimately, as the best person I have ever been.  I began to value my family and friends more and became less mercenary.  Oh, I certainly care about my career and try to do my meager best, but it is not the focal point of my life. I'm a kinder, gentler person.  I'm more relaxed.  All in all, I'm healthier, happier, and feel good about damn near everything.  It's great being me.  And, anyone out there that doesn't feel that way about their own life ought to be asking why.

So, that brings us to the second moment.  Yeah, I thought I learned it all going though David's bout with the disease.  Boy, was I wrong. . .   ;-)

But, this round is still a work in progress.  I'm not sure where it will lead me and how I will be changed, though I know I will be.  It's sort of funny, but I know that the process has already begun but I still can't focus enough to determine how.  One thing is that I know I will continue to worship Elaine and will do everything I can for her, knowing it will never measure up to all she's done foe me during this long, strange trip.  It will really take a cataclysmic event to upset me.  I will reconsider my retirement plans, and will most likely move my date up a year or so, meaning sometime in 2015.  I will take every day as it comes, appreciating every day I wake up above the grass.  And, I know there will be others.

But then, every day is better than the day before.

Peace and love to all!!!
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment