Thursday, April 10, 2014

Holding Pattern

But that's not a bad thing.  The radiation treatments continue with 9 down and 26 left.  I seem to have made it through the first week of chemo relatively unscathed.  And, I think that the ultimate solution to my sleeping problem may be Ambien.  All will be revealed. . .


But there are a couple of things I want to mention.  Now, when I started this blog, it was to be as a vehicle for disseminating information to the most people possible without having to repeat it too many times.  Nothing more elegant than that.  Oh, I knew that it would become therapy for me, and it already has.  But, in no way, is it meant as wisdom for the ages.  Oh, if somebody, somewhere gleans something that helps them or someone they know, that's all the better.  But I do feel I'd like to share a couple of teaching (hopefully not 'preaching' moments. . .  ;-)


First, I have learned more than I ever wanted to about anxiety.  Some of it was my own doing - I felt that I knew it all having been through David's ordeal 10 years ago and nothing could throw me.  But, the different perspective does, indeed, bring different thoughts and feelings.  I found myself being scared, short-tempered, and irrational in my expectations of myself and others.  Fortunately, Elaine had the foresight for me to get a prescription of Xanax in advance.  And then the first time took one and noticed the way it made me feel, I realized that, up to that point, I really had not understood what anxiety actually is.  But, it was the major contributor to my edginess, shortness or breath, and general fatigue.  I mention this as a 'public service' to anyone else out there who may have found or will someday find their own bodies inhabited by a scary, strange interloper.  If you do, get it taken care of immediately - it is NOT good for you!!!


Second thing is another public service announcement aimed at people in the Sarasota-Bradenton area.  If you ever find yourself afflicted with cancer of know someone who has or will be, check out the magnificent Center for Building Hope in Lakewood Ranch.  They are totally dedicated to helping people with cancer and their caregivers/friend/families bear their particular crosses.  They have activities, classes, support groups, and networking groups that meet regularly.  Elaine and I were there yesterday for a relaxation class and it was great.  I'm not saying that it's a place I'm going to hang out regularly, but both of us will continue to avail ourselves of the resources available.


Class is over.  Everyone still with me gets an "A"!!


Peace and love to all!!
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment