Thursday, April 3, 2014

Portrait of a Cancer Fighter!!


Portrait of a Cancer Fighter!!


Finally, I figured out how to post a picture to this blog!!!  Some of us are slow learners.  And I can't blame the disease for my brain malfeasance. . . .

Anyway, this was taken the morning before the first treatment.  We'll see how it goes as the weeks progress. . .

So today began with radiation treatment #4 (31 more to go) and the second day of fluid infusion after chemo.  So far, so good on the chemo - I did feel a slight wave of nausea late last night but the prescriptions that I got set me right.  It will be interesting to see how it goes once the anti-nausea drugs that were in the IV cocktail wear off.  I have to say that cancer is not for wimps - there's a new adventure every day.  And I'm finding all the routines I have to follow to try to retain dental health, to treat the mouth ulcers that will soon begin to form, and to keep up with the five time a day swallowing exercises is near a full-time job.  If you don't think you're up to the regimen, don't sign up for the disease, I tell you!!  (Yes, that is a feeble attempt at a joke. . .  ;-)

But what is not a joke are the revelations I've been having about where I see my life going after this.  I know I had mentioned working for/volunteering at Hospice after David passed 9 years ago as I was very, very impressed by the organization and the people that work there.  I will admit that my interest waned for a while, but it is definitely coming back and I know that I will ultimately volunteer there, with the perspectives of both someone who has seen a loved one's passage eased by the angels of Hospice and of a cancer survivor my own self.  But what I have learned these past few weeks grappling with the disease and meeting and talking with others with the disease, I realize how to be the most effective volunteer I can be.  What I'm finding is that people want to talk about their experiences and that's what comforts them.  So, when I become a volunteer, I'll certainly have the 'street cred', but that's not what my 'clients' are going to care about.  So, instead of telling them about what David and I went through, my entire personal introduction will go something like, "My name is Joe, my son David had a very satisfying Hospice experience x years ago and I'm in my nth year of becoming a survivor.  Now, tell me what's your story".  I will be able to listen and I will mean it.  I will only mention my past history again if they ask.  People are listening to me right now and I want give the future patients of the disease the empathetic ear they deserve.

OK, off of soapbox.

Peace and love to all!!!!
Joe

3 comments:

  1. You are a trouper Joe. Great post - thanks for keeping us sane way over here in Seattle - wondering about your treatment and health. Love! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking is theraputic, but listening is meditation for the soul. Love your outlook. Stay strong! - Kristen Little

    ReplyDelete