Saturday, April 12, 2014

Week Two Wrap-Up

OK, campers, two weeks down!! (So far, one of my strangest quandaries is figuring out what to title each entry - a monumental decision, I must say. . . )


So, the first two weeks of radiation are over with five more to go.  Or 10 treatments complete with 25 left  And this last treatment was a milestone - I evolved from the sheer panic of fearing that I would find the mask too constrictive and would die of suffocation during treatment at the first session to nodding off on the table by the end of this last session.


And, as predicted about now, I'm beginning to experience the first side effects of radiation.  There is a blessing, however, in that the tumor may have started shrinking.  I'm noticing that my throat passage seems to be a little less blocked, swallowing is a little 'easier', and my breathing is a little freer.  Of course, as if often the case, blessings come with curses.  Well, 'curse' may be extreme so let's just call them 'discomforts'.  I say swallowing is 'easier' (quotes intended) as it is mechanically easier, but is more painful as the promised throat scarring and radiation pain seem to have arrived to some degree.  But, it hurt like hell when I swallowed for about 6 months before my diagnosis, so this is a pain with which I am somewhat familiar. 


And I'm not sure what combination of events finally fell into place, but I managed to get four solid hours of sleep last night (unfortunately, there were from 10 to midnight and 5 - 7 AM with periods of fitfulness and several sessions of '2048' on the iPad (thanks to Adrienne for introducing me to the game!) but after I was up and about for a while, I hit a couple hours where I could not stay awake.  And, it didn't matter what position I had assumed.  Go figure. . .


Finally, just one more 'learning experience'.  Now, I am not the ultimate authority here, but I have  had experience as a both caregiver to a cancer patient and as a 'caregetter' as a cancer patient.  Elaine is doing a unbelievably fantastic job as caregiver (I should be half as good a patient. . .  ;-) and we are both learning together as we are both new to these roles.  And, again, I know that everyone's situation is different.  But, now having said that and disclaimed it out the old wazoo, I'd like to share a few observations to those of you who are or may find themselves as caregivers. Mainly, the person you're caring for, and who is probably a close loved one you've know for years, mostly looks exactly the same as they did before the onset of the disease.  BUT THEY ARE NOT!!!!!  The person you're dealing with has been invaded by interlopers into their body.  First, of course, is the disease.  Then, there are the chemicals and poisons that have been introduced into their systems which are coursing through their veins like demons.  They are NOT always going to be rational.  They WILL be anxious.  Very often, the most innocent question or remark will start the patient on a downward spiral into the rathole, and possibly sharp words will be exchanged, and it is not because of anything you did or said.  In these times, it is the disease and chemicals talking.  OK, this ends what I know as fact.  The rest is what Elaine and I have learned.  After a cool-down period, talk to each other.  Speak freely. There can be no elephants in the room. Just know that these periods are fleeting and you WILL make it though. (Of course, it helps if the patient is madly in love with the caregiver, but then that's a different story for a different day, , ,  ;-)


Peace and love to you all!!!!!
Joe

2 comments:

  1. Joe, I really appreciate your thoughts and insight into the broader spectrum of dealing with cancer. I know that you have the best caregiver by your side and you and Elaine will surely come out the other end even stronger than before. You two are so perfect for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold in there Joe! fight fight fight!! if I learned anything for the pain and suffering that my mom went thru is that one thing, oh lean on Elaine and your freinds as hard as you want to, if they push back, I say f... them!! We miss you at the station but we know you will be mack! much love Eddie

    ReplyDelete