Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Let Recovery Begin!

Well, Campers, it has been four days since the end of radiation and today was my first follow-up doctor appointment since then.  I have to admit that the recovery process will be longer and more arduous than I had imagined.  The past Saturday and Sunday were quite possibly the most miserable two days I have spent since treatment began.  But. . .  It sure beats not being cured.  It is now Tuesday evening, a little after 8 PM, and I must say I feel pretty good.  But, as Elaine pointed out, there will be bearable days and there will be not so bearable days.  The payoff is that the bearable days will begin to outnumber the not so bearable ones. 


My appointment today with Dr. Russell was most interesting and informational.  For instances, even though my body is not being fried daily, the effects of the radiation will continue to work for weeks, if not months.  And even though the plan for patients with my strain of the disease and treatment protocol is for three weeks of chemo, the norm is that most don't get the third treatment.  I was one of the 30% of 'over-achievers' who was deemed able to handle the third week.  I can claim no credit, I must say - I just assumed that the third treatment was a given.


And, for the most part, I'm pretty much right on schedule for where I should be along the recovery road.  It will be a long process and there is just no magic that will speed it up.  But, it sure beats any of those alternatives that do not include being cured!!!!  The PET Scan that will tell the tale will be scheduled for mid-August, or three months after the end of treatments - which makes sense since the treatments are still doing their thing for those extra weeks.


I'm getting tired and notice that I'm rambling.  I'll spare all of us and sign off here.


Peace and love to all!!!!
Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment