Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Last Chemo!

OK, Campers!!!  So today ends the continued introduction of one poison into my body - I had my last actual chemo infusion, though I will have two more days of fluid replenishment on Wednesday and Thursday.   And only three more radiation treatments!!  The future's so bright, I have to wear shades. . . 


And this week, both of my oncologists informed me that this week WILL be the worst of them all,  The next two, following the end of formal treatment will still be bad, but this is the nadir.  I have to say that I cannot dispute them, but, as I knock on a simulated wood-like substance, it still hasn't knocked me on my tail feathers, as I figured it would.  Come close, but I still have enough left to fight back. . .


And, a few weeks ago, Elaine pointed out something that I can, likewise, not dispute.  And that is the fact that even though I am grappling with a life-threatening disease, I'm going to come out of it with my health eventually intact and a few unpleasant memories, but generally better off than a lot of other people we've been seeing in the last few weeks.  And that's just not cancer patients at Moffitt, but people on the streets in Sarasota, even in our own neighborhood.  These are the people that are NOT going to get better, or the best that they can expect is to live in in a degraded physical or mental state with a diminished quality of life.  These are people who are permanently crippled in some way, perhaps,  Or the saddest case is our neighbor Shel, who lives across the street from us.  He's probably a little younger than me and had been the picture of health.  About a year or so ago, we noticed he was acting erratically and that his wife was doing all the driving.  Well, it turns out, he developed some sort of early onset dementia.  He will never get better. 


Now, I'm saying that I will not have any lasting effects.  It's still too early to know that for certain, though it doesn't seem they will be major.  I will eventually be able to eat real food again.  My voice my never again sound the way it did in my 'prime' radio years,  and who knows what else?  All part of the grand adventure. . . 


And, like I also said before, I will come out of this with some unpleasant memories.  But those will be far outweighed by the lessons I've learned about myself, my family and friends, and, corny as it sounds. life in general.  And, I can say something that I said ten years ago, and for the second time in my life, truly mean it.  Once again, I will come out of a pretty vile situation as the best person I've ever been.  (Injection of levity from an old bumper sticker - 'Oh, no!  Not another learning experience!')


Time to rest up for tomorrow's adventures!


Peace and live to all!!!!!!
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment