Thursday, May 22, 2014

Managing Expectations. . .

OK, Campers. . .  Even though the subject implies a rant in business-speak, it will not be. . .


But, I have been made aware that there are parallels between the world of recovery from a dread disease and normal day to day life. . .  Yes, that is truly profound, but hear me out. . .


And it's one more instance of how much smarter Elaine is than me. . .  Anyway, as you know by now, my formal treatments are over and I'm into the process of recovering from both the disease and the treatments.  And, since I'm a rather impatient lad, I'm expecting the process to be quick.  Digressing, recovery from a disease is primarily regarded as a physical exercise, but the mental aspect is equally vital and, in some ways, even more important.  And, as Elaine has pointed out to me many times, I am not setting a reasonable expectation level.  So that is what I'm trying to work on these past few days.  I am making progress in recovery, but not the quantum leaps I had initially been hoping for.  So, I have learned to become quite happy with small steps.  For instance, ever since the radiation began, my mouth has been beastly dry.  A couple of days ago, I noticed that my mouth has not been as dry.  So, at first, I expected all the dryness to be gone by the next day, which was an unreasonable expectation, but I had it anyway, and, to the surprise of no one, was disappointed.  But, if I alter my level set to 'hmmm, my mouth is still dry, but not as dry as yesterday.  Let's hope that tomorrow's improvement comes close to that.'  Much better!!!  I feel a little better each day and I'm not fighting off disappointment and anxiety. 


A simple lesson, but a valuable one.


Peace and love to one and all!!!!!
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment